Let's talk about Denver

Tales of the City: Denver Colorado, July 2000-April 2001.

Monday, February 14, 2005

One.

The last memory of Fort Worth that I have before I left for Colorado was a group of my bestfriends throwing me a surprise party and then it all goes blank. I was on my way to Denver with 3 others, we were about to take an adventure of a lifetime and also get a higher education past what this small town of Lake Worth could provide us.

I was so niave then, looking back it all seems such a distance memory but it has all shaped me into the person I've become and will become.

Shawnda, Jason, Amber(MB), and I all took off for Denver in two cars. No parents, no real assurance about what the future held for us, and yet at the same time we didn't care. I had the unfortunate pleasure of driving those 18 hours with Amber(who I quickly dubbed the 'Mega Bitch'). Jason, Shawnda and I all went to the same high school which was why we chose to drive up to Denver together. MB had found us through one of the many lying recruiters that WestWorth had available. I really didn't care, because the way I saw it, that was someone else I could talk to for the drive(I tend to lose my patience with people during long car rides). I really had to test my patience with MB during the drive, she wanted to listen to country, she wanted to talk about things that I quickly found insignificant, and she was continously budding into my sex life "got a girlfriend?" if you only knew "how many times have you had sex?" men or women?. God that bitch drove me nuts, but at that time I didn't have many other people to count on. I already knew Shawnda and I were going to be unbreakable once we got to Denver, so I tolerated the MB as much as possible, and trust me it was one of the hardest things that I had to do.

We arrived in Denver July 18th, 2000 two days before school started and we were lost. Do you know how many freeways are up there? I couldn't tell you but the one I do remember was I-29, we were lost on it for 2 hours(Mostly due to MB stating that she knew 'this really cool place to eat'...ugh the bitch and her nerve). The funniest part of that first day was arriving at Shawnda's and MB's predecided living arrangement(lying WestWorth at it's best). Shawnda is a very...what's the word, big personality and person. She was just as annoyed with MB as I was, her only problem was that she wasn't able to hide her annoyance(which I would later use to my advantage).

Shawnda was in a rage, throwing MB's boxes around "Where is my shit?" "Oh no this white bitch did not stack her shit on mines", you can only imagine the words that came out of Shawnda's mouth and MB was equally insulting. Jason and I just sat on their new porch smoking cigerettes and laughing at how funny and quickly dangerous the situation was becoming. Should we do something? No they can handle it. She's gonna kill her. I'm looking forward to it.

Then the fighting quickly stopped, a 3rd roomate had arrived. Enter Jamie, a petite, freckled face, little girl who was equally as innocent as we were. She drove up from a small town in Texas(which I have forgotten) by herself. At this point, I had to ask myself, "what were our parents thinking. I can only imagine them saying "Throw them to the wolves, let those ungrateful bastards learn what life is really about!"

Jamie was a trooper though and I could tell from my first impression of her that she would not let herself get involved with any kind of drama of any kind. She just continued unpacking her boxes allowing the fighting and shouting to fade into the distance.

When Jason and I had enough of the fighting we informed Shawnda and MB that it was getting late and we wanted to go find our apartment and start unpacking ourselves. Jason and I were never close in high school, and if he knew about the secret I was hiding he wouldn't, couldn't accept it. So I knew that I couldn't tell him, ever. Yet, I had put myself into quite a situation, he was going to be my roomate until my bestfriend AJ came to Denver in October. I could last, it wouldn't be that hard to hide it, besides we were in Denver now. Different State, Different City. DIFFERENT RULES.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home